Lessness Heath Primary School is pleased to publish its annual single equality plan and you can see a full copy by clicking here. In developing our plan we have been able to identify and record the progress we have made towards achieving equality and tackling discrimination in order to come to a better understanding of the challenges still to be addressed.
We will ensure that this single equality plan is effectively implemented and scrutinised so that we meet the obligations placed upon us by the equality duty. Promoting the priorities identified within our single equality plan will be a continuous process. It will be taken in partnership with the Primary First Trust community. The three aims of the general equality duty are as follows:
- To eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation, by tackling prejudice and promoting understanding.
- To advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not by:
- Removing or minimising disadvantage suffered by people due to their protected characteristic.
- Take steps to meet the needs of people with certain protected characteristics where these are different to the needs of other people, including taking steps to take account of disabled people’s disabilities.
- Encourage people with certain protected characteristics to participate in public life or in other activities where their proportion is disproportionately low.
- Foster good relationships between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
The Governors and Staff of the Lessness Heath Primary School understand that compliance with the general equality duty is a legal obligation that will better inform decision making and policy development. They further recognise that achieving the three aims stated will ensure the Lessness Heath Primary School is able to successfully meet the needs of our diverse population of students, draw on the talents of a diverse local community to ensure our staff and governors better represent the wider community that we serve.